Sunday 13 October 2013

Jonathan's amazing birthday cake

It is the cover of this blog and, by far, the best looking cake I have ever made!




It took me a whole day, we had about 40 guest and my husband thought I was mad. I started baking the cakes the day before and I used 2,5 dose, of the recipe below.




I also cut them, by using a big print of Nijntje / Miffy.



I made the custard and filled them them the day before. The decoration took place between 12-1am, on the day of the birthday. So loads of make-up necessary on the the actual day ;)



For the sponge cake I used my grandma's recipe. For the filling just the usual custard and for the frosting I used the commercial butter cream.

Jonathan's birthday cake

ingredients for the cake
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 glass sugar
  • 1 glass flour
  • 1 tea spoon baking powder
  • 1 vanilla
  • a bit of butter and extra flour

instructions for the cake
  1. Beat the yolks with the sugar for 5-8 minutes
  2. Add the flour, including the baking powder.
  3. Beat egg-whites with the vanilla sugar separately until stiff
  4. Use a brush to smear a bit of butter on your cake form.
  5. Use a sieve to spread the flower on top of the butter.
  6. Pour first the dough in the form.
Bake in pre-warmed over, with air, for about 25-30 minutes, 160C.


Once cooled down, you can cut in shape and in two layers. Now the custard.I used the custard mix, which is basically corn flour and some other ingredients that help in color and binding:

Ingredients for the custard
  • 65gr sugar
  • 65gr custard mix
  • 1 lt milk

instructions for the custard
  1. Mix the sugar with the custard mix.
  2. Take 6 table spoons from the milk , put it in a cup and dissolve the custard-sugar mix in the milk
  3. Warm up the rest of the milk and pour the mix in while using whisker. 
  4. Let the mix boil for 2-3 minutes and then cool down.

You can cut the cake in two layers and spread the custard in the center, leaving about 2-3 cm from the edge. This will prevent it from pouring out the cake, when you place the top of the cake back. You can now put the cake, including the custard in the fridge and start working on the butter-cream.


ingredients for the butter cream
  • 250 gr butter
  • 200ml water
  • 100gr powder sugar
  • 100gr butter cream mix

instructions for the butter cream
  1. You need to let the butter out of the fridge until it turns soft.
  2. Beat the butter for 7 minutes.
  3. In the meanwhile add the sugar to the water and whisk.
  4. Add the butter cream mix to the water & sugar mix.
  5. Add the mix to the butter and let the machine beat until the mix becomes uniform. 
  6. Eventually add color and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.

You can now use the butter cream to cover the cake, best tool is a silicone spatula. I have used melted chocolate to make the edge of the bunny and right Jonathan's name, with the help of my husbands steady hands.

This cake was waaaaaay to long, if didn't even fit in my fridge, so I used two boxes, which I put together on the birthday table :)






No comments:

Post a Comment